Skip to main content

South Africa clears quarantined vessels after suspected coronavirus case

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South Africa ports authority said on Thursday that tests have come back negative for those onboard a cruise liner and cargo vessel which had been held under quarantine off Cape Town’s port limits due to a suspected coronavirus outbreak.
Countries around the world have barred cruise liners from entering their ports, fearful the large ships could fuel the spread of coronavirus similar to the Diamond Princess which was quarantined in Yokohama, near Tokyo, on Feb. 3.
“This means there have to date been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 in any of our ports but we will remain on high alert after this first scare,” said Captain Sabelo Mdlalose, acting chief harbor master at Transnet National Ports Authority.
South Africa held the cruise liner MV AidAmira and the MV Corona cargo vessel after a crew member onboard one of the vessels showed signs of coronavirus.
The cargo vessel left Cape Town on March 11 but the ship’s master contacted port authorities requesting to return on Monday after the patient started to exhibit symptoms of the virus.
The other six passengers on board the Italian-flagged MV AidAmira were quarantined as a precautionary measure for further medical checks, although they did not exhibit any symptoms, Transnet said.
The cruise liner, with 1,240 passengers and 486 crew on board, was on it way back from Namibia’s Walvis Bay. Besides the six, all other passengers and crew remained quarantined on board.
Both vessels have been granted clearance to continue their journeys from Cape Town’s port but it is expected that the cruise liner passengers will be allowed to disembark and fly to their respective countries, Transnet said.
President Cyril Ramaphosa on Sunday declared a state of disaster and implemented urgent measures to fight the pandemic, which has so far affected 116 in South Africa as it spreads rapidly across the continent.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

European Union will close its borders to all non-essential travel to fight coronavirus

Madrid (ITNTV) The European Union will close its borders to all non-essential travel as it attempts to contain the  ongoing spread of the coronavirus  on the continent. "The less travel, the more we can contain the virus," European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said Monday following a video conference between G7 leaders. She appeared confident that the European Council would sign off on the restriction in a Tuesday vote. The bloc's member states imposed aggressive measures on Monday,  days after the  World Health Organization (WHO) said Europe was at the epicenter of the pandemic. French President Emmanuel Macron declared "war" on the virus during a national address on Monday, banning all social events across the country -- including family gatherings. Macron said those who have gathered in public places in recent days have not been respecting previous measures to limit the outbreak's spread in France, which as of Monday had 5,380 con...

Kennedy granddaughter, great-grandson missing in Chesapeake Bay

(ITNTV) - The granddaughter of the late Robert F. Kennedy and her young son were missing on Friday after drifting out into the Chesapeake Bay on a canoe, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan said. An intensive search continued for Maeve Fahey Townsend, and her son Gideon, Hogan said. Maeve Townsend is the daughter of former Maryland Lieutenant Governor Kathleen Kennedy Townsend and the granddaughter of Robert F. Kennedy, who was assassinated while a candidate for the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination in 1968. “I reached out to and spoke with Lieutenant Governor Townsend this morning and on behalf of the people of Maryland I expressed our most heartfelt sympathies,” Hogan said in a briefing posted online. The Anne Arundel County Fire Department, one of the agencies searching for Townsend and her son, said it had received a call on Thursday at about 4:30 p.m. local time, reporting that two people in a small canoe or kayak were drifting into Chesapeake Bay. Rescuers w...

US uses encrypted app to connect with Iranians as coronavirus sweeps their country

Washington (ITNTV) The State Department is using social media to encourage Iranians to share information with the Trump administration -- both on an encrypted tip line and through an online survey -- about the  coronavirus pandemic  that is devastating the country. "This is Iran's Chernobyl," said one administration official of the outbreak, who described social media portals as a tool to bypass the Iranian regime and connect to the country's people. The US began encouraging Iranians to use the encrypted messaging app last year, when Iranian demonstrators took to the streets and US officials wanted to learn more about the regime's bloody crackdown. Now, with Covid-19 devastating Iran, the tip line has been reinvigorated, administration officials told CNN. This time, the goal is to collect information from Iranians, find ways to share that information when it is determined to be accurate and leverage the coronavirus in an effort to fortify a relationship ...